Lab Testing with a Naturopathic Doctor
As naturopathic doctors we are strong advocates for having very thorough lab tests done. The reason for this is to unearth the root cause of disease. It is important to uncover the body’s imbalances by running specific lab tests. Dr. Gill always request that you bring copies of any lab work that you may have to your Initial Visit – if that’s not possible, then I will order a Records Request from your MD or suggest appropriate lab work to be done during your visit. Testing actually takes the guesswork out of both accurate diagnosis and treatment, and helps me to narrow down your treatment options. Patients will receive either an electronic PDF or paper copy in-house of their results and these will be reviewed on a followup visit.
NOTE: In order to perform any lab testing, you must be an existing patient. We cannot order lab testing for individuals who are not patients of our naturopathic doctor in the clinic.
Here are the many different types of tests that we can order and interpret: (Please note that conventional testing can be done through your MD which is covered by MSP. If ordered by a Naturopathic Doctor, fees will apply)
- Standard / Conventional screening tests: Complete blood count, Hormone tests (Progesterone, Estradiol, LH, FSH, DHEAs, HcG, DHT, Androstenodione), Liver and Kidney function tests (AST, ALT, GGT, Bilirubin, urea, creatinine), thorough Thyroid tests (TSH, T3/4, Thyroid antibodies), Adrenal Function tests (testosterone, cortisol), Diabetes testing (HbA1C, FPG, glucose tolerance), Hematology (Ferritin, Iron, Sat. ratio, B12, folic acid), urine testing, and lots more.
- Specialized testing: can include blood, urine, hair, breath and saliva testing options. A few of these tests are conducted onsite, while most require a sample collection either in-house or take home, which is then processed and shipped out for analysis by one of our trusted diagnostic companies.
All tests are different, and depending on what tests are recommended and ordered, your Naturopathic Physician may send you out to your local LifeLabs with a requisition for a blood draw. In most cases, we also work in conjunction with your MD or other health providers to receive testing that you have already completed.
Some of our Standardized and Specialty Tests include:
- Sex Hormone levels – Male and Female
- Male and Female General Wellness panels
- Cholesterol panels
- CDSA – Parasite, Bacteria, Intestinal Flora, and GI function
- Hair and Mineral Toxin Analysis
- Celiac and Candida Testing
- Kidney and Liver Function Tests
- Thyroid function panels
- Vitamin D testing
- Comprehensive basic blood screen
- Rapid Strep Antigen test
- Organic Acids Test (OAT)
- Omega Fatty Acid Profile
- SIBO (Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth)
- Hematology / Anemia panels
- Genetic (MTHFR / 23 and me / Nutrigenomix)
- PULS Cardiac Test
- IgG Food Panel Sensitivity Testing (via blood collection or fingerprick)
- and more
Some of the In-Office Tests that we can conduct are (but not limited to):
- Urinalysis strip: this is quick dip stick test that tests for presence of glucose, protein, bilirubin, ketones, leukocytes and blood in the urine. It also tests for pH levels to determine if your body acidic or alkaline, which can assist you making dietary changes
- Zinc Tally (to test for possible. Zinc deficiency)
How do I get Lab Tests done through Dr. Gill’s office?
First, you need to be a patient. No physician can order tests or run lab work without having seen you first in the office. At the end of your first visit, suggestions for appropriate lab work will be given and any associated costs. If appropriate, we will also work with your MD and recruit lab work (if you have had work done) some which may be covered under MSP.
Lab Testing Fees
Any conventional Lab bloodwork – eg thyroid, hormone levels, iron, cholesterol, blood sugar, liver and kidney function tests etc are available through our office. However, the costs are not covered by MSP. If such tests would be helpful, we will recommend them and you may pursue having them done through your medical doctor, or you may pay to have them performed by our office. Legally, we can charge only what the lab charges us for these tests. Costs for Lab tests vary by test, we can provide an estimated cost prior to any testing, and are usually discussed at your appointment.
Please do not book an appointment unless you fully intend to keep it. Thank you.
Copyright 2020 Dr. Olena Gill, R.Ac., ND – Indigo Integrative Health Clinic